November 27, 2010

Do we want Facebook group "hijacking"?


I recently noticed a new feature at Facebook – Facebook "group hijacking". What I mean is that you no longer get an invitation to a group when someone wants you to join. You become a member even if you´re not interested

A red notification and a line in your feeder is the only visible evidence for the fact that you now belong to a group you perhaps not want to be connected with.

Before you got an invitation you could accept or reject. Now you are connected instantly. So if you by some reason do not login to your Facebook for a few days you may have become a member of a political group you disagree with or a group abusing someone (well that group will not survive long at Facebook but there are several such cases).

If you by some reason have a lots of notification and a feeder filling itself up in a few minutes – you will perhaps never notice you are a member of that group.
This is a stupid feature
It is about integrity since I can be member in groups I do not want to be a member of. It is also about integrity since if I actively unsubscribe to a group I also tell the group owner I disagree in the reason they have created a group.

Dance school war
There is a dance school war in my home town. I was “drafted” to that group by a person I love and who wanted to make a good thing. She/he was probably not even aware of Facebook's changed procedure for group invitations. I cannot say I have any standpoint at all in this war. But I presume that with too many  actors all may get red figures.

So now Facebook really makes it hard for me now

If  I unsubscribe I tell the manager of that dance school I disagree with his idea.
If I stay I might get enemies among the other dance school managers

Before I had the option to not join a group and it could mean I disagreed or that I hadn´t read my mail. Now I have to unsubscribe. I need to do an active choice get disconnected.

It is about Integrity - yours and mine.
Do we want it to be like this?
I do not.


It has to be fun, or else we cannot make it

2 comments:

  1. Hello Betti!
    In exactly how many places on the web will I be able to find you if make a thorough search? :-) Your energy and commitment are admirable. This one is nice of course, like the others I 've seen (not sure I've made acquaintance with them all).

    I totally agree with you on this topic regarding FB integrity. However, when it comes to this "dance school war", do you reckon people will stoop to such small-minded levels where you are either "with us or against us"? Not that I haven't seen examples of pityful behavior within our eminent dancing elite, but still.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sharp as always. What did your mother do to deserve you? HUGS! (Too tired for something intellectual - I get back ;-)

    ReplyDelete