February 18, 2011

Scrum and Agile fundamentals with Alistair Cockburn - the circle is closed now


In December I was supposed to attend an Scrum Master class with Ron Jeffrey. I had been told by my colleges the added value of going for one of the ones who was there from the beginning. Sadly Ron had to cancel because of his knee and I was really disappointed.

Updated:
About the course 6-8 April 2011 - I survived

A class like that one is expensive for my organization and what I was going to get wasn´t what I had expected despite a great replacing teacher. It would take years before next chance for me to meet any one from "the inner circle". Besides I got crowded by work so I cancelled that class.

I was bored that day
I was bored that day and got a sudden idea - why not try that guy who's website had been bubbling up at different Google searches last two years? Different subjects all the times. The man I speak about is Alistair Cockburn (read his website and you understand what I mean). I had seen a few videos at Youtube and presumed he would be exactly hat kind of teacher I want to go for. I had also searched for information about any Scandinavia travel plans a few times.

I sent mail and a tweet that day and surprisingly Alistair answer was: No concrete plans. But I want to and I need some one to set it up for me

So this is what I have been doing since December. Luckily I quickly found a local sponsor in Lennart Olsson at Iptor. He is arranging the Scandinavian Software Development Conference.

Now when all details is cleared I proudly presents that Alistair will be:

Why did I do this then?

I am that person that learn best in the classroom. I search actively for great teacher whenever I get the chance. I want interaction and I want to have F.U.N while learning (It has to be fun). I am confident Alistair qualifies for all my demands.

Besides that - I love networking. I have got lots of new business contacts both "IR" and at Twitter because of this "project". I am really looking forward to meet some of those in April. Besides I got a lot of energy from starting up a "mission impossible" and actually fixing it. One person in Agile business actually told me it would be impossible - that statement is definitely a triggerpoint for me.

Finally - I like the idea:
if you cannot find the teacher you want in Sweden - bring him over the Atlantic
When I started this up I had a vision of the class to take place at Stockholm and to be held in cooperation with Crisp - one of the big actors at Stockholm. After a few side paths and problems to be solved we are back to that solution. Now I can lay back and focus on my current project. I am also content since I now will meet both Alistair and a local resource in Henrik Kniberg. The circle is closed!

Meanwhile I am waiting for beginning of April I am working with my part of the organization - to prepare it for what I think may come out of this.

Alistairs website
Musashi meets Covey meets Agile, Video



How the class turned out can be read at http://brittabettina.blogspot.com/2011/04/certified-scrum-master-or-scrum.html

Note - F.U.N in my world is not about jokes and giggles - it is a kind of quality assurance of en engaged person performing the very best.

It has to be fun, or else we cannot make it

No comments:

Post a Comment